About us - ingredients
Sagebrush Crafts handmade soap and skin care are made with these ingredients.
- Bentonite clay - A medicinal powdered clay used to produce the silky feeling in our shaving soap.
- Candelilla wax - A vegetable wax used as a texturizer in our lip balm, this is a vegetable substitute for beeswax.
- Castor oil - Obtained from the castor bean, it attracts and retains moisture to the skin. Its conditioning properties make it particularly suited for shampoo and skin care products. It is also used medicinally.
- Cocoa butter - Obtained from cocoa beans, it smells like chocolate and has moisturizing qualities. We use it to add firmness to our lip balm as well as for its moisturizing and conditioning properties.
- Coconut oil - One of the main soap making oils. Obtained from the coconut fruit, this moisturizing oil is a solid at room temperature. It produces a hard bar with fluffy, creamy lather and a cleansing quality.
- Glycerin - A moisturizing ingredient that softens your skin and helps it to attract and retain moisture. It is a natural by-product of the soap making process.
- Lye - A common term for sodium hydroxide, the alkali used to make soap. Also known as caustic soda.
- Palm oil - One of the main soap making oils. Obtained from the fruit of the oil palm, it is a solid at room temperature. Palm oil adds firmness to the soap and produces a mild bar with stable and conditioning lather. We use sustainably produced palm oil from suppliers that are members of the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO).
- Rice bran oil - One of the main soap making oils. Obtained from brown rice, this oil is high in unsaponifiables, rich in vitamin E, and has anti-oxidizing properties. It is good for sensitive, mature or delicate skin due to its softening and moisturizing properties.
- Rosemary leaf powder - Rosemary leaf is a herb from the mint family. It is thought to reduce hair loss and promote hair growth.
- Shea butter - Obtained from the fruit of the Shea (Karite) tree which grows in west Africa, this butter is high in unsaponifiables which contribute to its moisturizing and conditioning qualities. It is reported to be helpful for many skin conditions including eczema, stretch marks, wrinkles, scars, insect bites, burns, itching, and skin allergies. It also has natural sunscreen and anti-inflammatory agents.
- Superfatted - Term used to describe that extra moisturizing ingredients are present in the soap to make it extra mild and gentle. All of our soaps and shampoo bars are superfatted.
- Turmeric - A spice from the root of a plant in the ginger family. It is believed to have anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory qualities.
- Unsaponifiables - Components of the fat/oil that do not combine with the lye to form soap. They remain in their original state within the soap, and thus are able to moisturize and condition the skin.